When you’re making a website you must do everything you can to make it work for you. Building your website starts with planning it out, which is what this article will help you to do. Allow yourself to get the most out of you website and follow along with the article below.
1. Don’t use images that are too large. If you must host them, then have a thumbnail that leads to the larger image. By covering a whole page in large images you make it slower. You want your page to load quickly so people don’t stop their browser from loading it and go elsewhere.
2. Use graphics that have something to do with the content you’re working with. Avoid using images from places where you don’t have permission to. Also don’t do things like include images that are animated and blinking everywhere. Distracting images that have nothing to do with your site make your message less effective.
3. Try to keep your site simple by using layouts that are standard. This doesn’t mean you have to make the website incredibly simple, just keep things like the navigation and layout of the overall site simple. When you make the content easy to locate, people will appreciate it and will probably come back later.
4. Don’t use fonts that aren’t very common. If you must use a font that not very many people have, try to use it in an image instead. People will not be able to load up content if they don’t have the font, or if they do it won’t look like you intended it to. Allow people to download a font if you must use it by including a link somewhere on the page.
5. Save some white space on your page and keep the site clean overall. Too much going on can really drive people away. Think of it like your home, when there are too many things everywhere, you have a harder time locating anything. In this day and age, people want to find things as soon as possible, and they don’t want to have scrolling text and music going on when they just want to read a piece of content.
6. Update often and don’t forget to inform your visitors of those updates. There are a lot of reasons to keep your site updated, such as for SEO purposes. It will also help you to be sure traffic will keep coming just to see what is new. Whenever you do update, offer your users a way to find out. Maybe you can build a social media site, or even just a mailing list that sends out an e-mail when there’s something new.
If you take all of the tips you have just read and design your website with them, you have a better chance of being successful at it. Keeping the people that visit happy is the best thing to do if you wish to get a site noticed. The only thing left to do is work on your website!